The Noordhoek Farm Village Potjie Challenge takes place on Heritage Day Saturday 24 September 2011, which happens to be braai day! Challengers will be taking on the 3 restaurants at Noordhoek Farm Village (the Foodbarn, The Toad in the Village and Cafe Roux).
Introducing Team No 3: Team Ellie
Featuring “Ndlovo” the travelling potjie pot who claims the most adventures. We hope that the culinary offer is as superb as the adventures! Here is the Team Ellie Application!
Let me introduce myself, I am “Ndlovo”, the most adventurous potjie pot this side of the Sahara!!!!!! Word is out that there is a potjie competition and all I can say is that there is no way you could possibly say anything but a RESOUNDING YES!!!! … to my entry!
I earned my Elephant name for having travelled the depths and breadth of many wild and wonderful parts of Africa and have the following REAL LIFE culinary adventures under my caste iron belly:
- … After witnessing a breeding herd of ellies crossing the legendary Rovuma river on the northern reaches of the Niassa Reserve bordering Mozambique & Tanzania …
- … I, “Ndlovo” the potjie pot, got kicked over by a charging bull elephant on the banks of the mighty Luangwa river in Zambia
- … I then got sniffed by a curious leopard on the Gomoti channel just before the ostrich potjie was ready to be served to these very hungry and intrepid campers of mine
- … a hyena – with a distinct taste for Wuppertal “vellies” and tangy oxtail stew – then dragged me, Ndlovo the potjie pot, around the Okavango bush by night
- 5. … the BEST EVER black mussels in a wine sauce, were served out of this self-same pot in the northern reaches of the arid Skeleton Coast
- … I have travelled on a “bwato” (dugout canoe) to deserted islands on Lake Malawi and beyond
- … crayfish have been boiled on the ‘slave and silver’ island of Ibo off the East African coast
- … I have bubbled away on a Robinson Crusoe beach, under a giant Baobab, in the greater Lamu archipelago, before Somali pirates made this area their stomping ground …
- … and now, after many, many African miles, it has made the Noordhoek valley my home and am huuuuuuuuuugely ready for my next adventure … and what better place than the Noordhoek Farm Village!!
I therefore motivate “Team Ellie”, my adventurous owners and culinary safari wizards, to blow the minds of all the potjie lovers our there at the upcoming Noordhoek Farm Village Potjie competition!!
Warm regards, Ndlovo the travelling Potije pot
NEED TO KNOW INFORMATION FOR VISITORS TO THE POTJIE CHALLENGE:
- 10h30 – 12h30: Heritage Day Delights for Kids – Free Children’s Activities will take place on the bandstand and will involve hearing the story of the South African Flag, play the flag game and make a flag to take home.
- 13h00- 17h00: We welcome eMzantsi Carnival who will be performing on the bandstand (Link to more info)
- 15h00 – 17h00: Sampling and tasting of any or all the potjies available for R20.
- All proceeds from potjie sales to Masiphumelele Rugby Club
We look forward to tasting the potjiekos recipes and celebrating 2 proudly South African Days in 1 – Heritage Day and Braai Day. Bring on the perfect potjie!